Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween! Trick or Treat?!

Happy Halloween!!

Today is Halloween but we dressed up and celebrated last night. A group of us dressed up and went to an ultra-lounge, Posh, and celebrated VIP style! I absolutely love Posh. The music is always good and there's always a huge crowd. Last night was no exception! The bottles were decently priced (unlike the $600 a Vegas club charges for ONE bottle), the music got better as the night went on, and our DD got us home safe and sound (thanks, Rick!!). It was an all-around extremely fun night.

As for tonight, I cannot wait to hand out candy to all of the Trick or Treaters! I hope they show up! We didn't get to hand out candy last year because we were in a third-floor apartment, and no one wants to climb those stairs...not even for candy. This year we're in a house, but we're still new to the neighborhood and don't really know what to expect for tonight. I hope the neighborhood is full of Trick or Treaters because I will be ready with my bowl of candy and the porch light will be on!

A few months back I twittered and facebooked about an awesome catfish recipe I had followed, and I'm finally posting the recipe on here. The name of the recipe is 'Blackened Catfish' although it should be titled something like 'Lemon-Infused Catfish.' It's not like any blackened catfish I've ever had, but it is ABSOLUTELY delicious, so, here it is...

'Blackened Catfish'
Ingredients:
Compound Butter, Creole seasoning, 4- 8oz fresh skinless and boneless catfish fillets, 2 lemons thinly sliced

Ingredients and Instructions for Compound Butter:
1/2 Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature, 1 Tablespoon Creole seasoning, 1 lemon zested and juiced, 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher salt, 1/8 Teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, 1 Tablespoon chopped chives. In a bowl, add the butter, Creole seasonings, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper; mix to combine. Stir in the chopped chives and set aside.

Putting it all together...
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Preheat a large well-seasoned skillet over medium heat (I used my regular skillet I use for everything else!). Line the bottom of a baking dish with the lemon slices and spread compound butter evenly over the lemon. Reserve a small portion of the compound butter for serving. Evenly coat both sides of each fish fillet with Creole seasoning. Add the seasoned fillets to the hot skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side to just toast and brown the seasoning. With a spatula, carefully place the seared fish on top of the buttered lemon slices in the baking dish. Bake until fish easily breaks apart with a fork, 12 to 15 minutes. Immediately top each hot fillet with a spoonful of compound butter, serve, and enjoy!

I'm trying to make it a point to try a new recipe every week. Whether it's a side dish, entree, or a dessert, I'm making it a point to expand what I cook in the kitchen and make more 'homemade' dishes. I religiously browse through Better Homes and Gardens and Food Network online, and usually find some recipes that sound delicious. As I experiment with different recipes I'll post them on here if I think they're worth passing along. I'm trying a new chicken recipe this week. It looks easy enough to cook and it sounds like it'll be a good one, so I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

Below are a few pictures from the past month. Have a great week, everyone!

Rick was Yoshi and I was a Mobster for Halloween


Our Jack-O-Lantern


Rick and I in front of the Bellagio


Rick and I touring Downtown Las Vegas


Hoover Dam

No comments:

Post a Comment